The Netflix Docuseries Pipeline: Why Can't I Look Away?


 I saw a video recently that said something like, "Netflix could make a documentary about anything and I would still watch it", and proceeded to play a parody video mocking the same format and style that a Netflix documentary does. And... I found myself glued to the screen, even though the words they were saying in this parody were essentially meaningless. 

Why is that? Why is it that we can watch a documentary about anything, and as long as it's in that fast paced, mysterious formatting, I'll eat it right up?

On Netflix, I've seen many documentaries and docuseries, most of them being true crime. I've seen "Unsolved Mysteries", "The Ted Bundy Tapes", "The Trial of Gabriel Fernandez", "Don't F*ck With Cats", "Catching Killers", "The Tinder Swindler", "Our Father", "Keep Sweet: Pray and Obey", "Worst Roommate Ever", "The Mysterious Disappearance of Madeline McCann", the list goes on and on.

I tried asking myself what it is about this formatting that makes me want to watch. I think the first thing has to do with the pacing, the synchronicity of the shots and the music conveys a tone that had you concerned and wanting to learn more. I also think that documentaries have a tendency to talk about things like it's the most important thing in the world, because to them, it is. That urgency, I think, becomes contagious to the viewer. 

Are there any Netflix Documentaries that you recommend I watch? What it is about the docuseries that caught your attention? Let me know in the comments. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All My Questions About Primer

Fresh Eyes FIRST TAKE: "Don't Worry Darling"